English Language Arts (ELA) Curriculum News from?Jan Tingle, district ELA Curriculum Coordinator
We are excited to share with you information about a new curriculum that will be implemented this year in ELA classes in grades 6-8. In 2014, English Language Arts entered the CPS Curriculum Review Cycle. A design team composed of teachers and coaches worked together over the course of the last two years and, in the spring of 2016, recommended a curriculum that was designed by EL Education. The EL Education Curriculum:
- Was created by teachers for teachers; Connects students to real world issues, preparing them for college, career, and life;
- Inspires students to get excited about learning through great books, compelling topics and ownership of their own learning;
- Includes literary and informational texts;
- Incorporates key instructional routines and strategies that allow ALL students to access the material;
- Is aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
ELA teachers in grades 6-8 have been working diligently to prepare for this new undertaking. They have attended two institutes in June and August, read extensively over the summer, and are well prepared to embark on this new journey. I hope you will join us in supporting their efforts as we move forward to work together on behalf of all of our students.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Best wishes to you and your family as we begin this new school year.